Current overview (Subject to change or variation):
- The Met have been working hard ahead of planned protests by organisations campaigning against climate change, including Extinction Rebellion.
- The operation is led by an experienced command team with an appropriate number of officers to police the demonstration.
- The Met have the capability to deploy quickly officers trained in public order and specialist officers will be deployed.
- Whilst policing protest in central London, the police have a duty to balance the rights of the protestors with the rights of others to go about their lawful business.
- The Met have learnt from the last protest held by this group – we will have sufficient number of officers on duty to make arrests and remove any obstructions as necessary.
MPS advice to stakeholders, organisations, and businesses in Central London
- In the days leading up to the event, ensure all employees are fully briefed
- Your premises should have a strong, visible management presence who should identify themselves to the police in the event of any trespassing or damage
- Security officers, where possible, should be highly visible
- All staff should remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to security and/or the police
- Ensure all members of staff are fully aware of any emergency and evacuation procedures
- Minimise the number of entry points to your premises
- Ensure the outside areas are clear of debris, dustbins, ladders, tools, or equipment
- Check that your emergency equipment, grab bags, first aid supplies, and walkie0talkies are in place, easy to get to, and working properly. It is advisable to test them beforehand
- Check and test building security and emergency systems
- Ensure CCTV coverage is fully operational and can provide the highest recording resolution possible
- If your building has scaffolding erected or is in close proximity to scaffolding, let your security staff know.
- Report any suspicious activity to police by dialling 999 in an emergency or call 101 if not an emergency.
You can read more advice here.